Well I’ll Be! An Award Nomination!
Greg over at Animals Deserve to Live has nominated me for a Liebster Award. The award is given to up and coming bloggers who haven’t acquired a large following. Liebster is a German word which means sweetheart, darling or beloved. You honour me in nominating me for any award, as I started this blog a few years ago to keep my family updated on my life when I was living in Africa. My readership has slowly grown since then as I’ve focused of conservation, volunteering, and travel posts. I just want to say thank you to everyone who follows me, I hope you’re enjoying the ride!
What is the Liebster Award?
- The Liebster Award is given by bloggers to bloggers who have less than 200 followers.
- Each blogger should answer the questions the tagger has set for them.
- Choose eleven new bloggers to pass the award on to and link them in your post.
- Create eleven new questions for the chosen bloggers.
- Go back to their page and tell them about the award.
- Each blogger should post eleven random facts about themselves.
- No Tag Backs!!
11 Facts About Me:
- I grew up on army and airforce bases throughout Canada.
- I have moved 18 times. I am a master of packing.
- I have pet tarantula named Jeeves I rescued when his owner abandoned him at my clinic.
- I was once nearly gored by an elk.
- There is a monkey in South Africa named Carleton, because I paid to name him.
- I actually enjoyed my internship with cows and wish there was a way to work with them that didn’t support the meat or dairy industries.
- My dog Michi is a certified therapy dog, he volunteers at the care home my mother works at.
- I love spicy food. Learning to cook the Sri Lankan and South Indian dishes my fiancé prefers has been fun!
- I am getting married in October, and my wedding dress cost me $15 on Ebay. I dislike extravagant weddings and commercialism.
- My Mom comes from a huge Mennonite family who came to Canada from Russia in the 1920s. I am related to so many people in the town where my Gramma lives I could never learn them all.
- I have a dream to get a degree in Primate Conservation and work at as many primate sanctuaries as I possibly can.
My Questions from Greg:
- When was the last time you rescued or came to the aid of an animal? December, when I left my job as a vet tech in a clinic, before that it was nearly daily!
- What is your favorite book of all time? The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. I appreciate the theme of placing importance on connecting with the earth as opposed to material objects and money.
- Are you Vegan, Vegetarian, Carnivore, or other? I have been vegan for a year and a half.
- What is your favorite movie of all time? The Fifth Element with Bruce Willis and Mila Jovovich, I know nearly every word.
- What is your favorite meal? Mashed potatoes and (vegan!) gravy. Best comfort food for me, coming from a Mennonite family.
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? Africa. Madagascar to be exact. I would be totally content to live in a hut in the baobabs studying lemur behaviour or biology.
- What is your favorite color? Red. I guess it’s a power colour, maybe that’s why I’m drawn to it.
- How long have you been blogging? Honestly, I’ve been blogging since I was a preteen, though back then it was trivial day-to-day teenage drama. I have had this WordPress site since 2010.
- What do you like most about being a blogger? I’m an inherently awkward person. I’m terrible at small talk and meeting new people, but I can write. This is a way for even the people closest to me in life to know what happens inside my head.
- What hobbies do you have besides blogging? I enjoy yoga, meditation, cooking kickass vegan meals, and volunteering.
- If you could end factory farms, would you? Absolutely. I’ve not yet worked out what the ideal situation for the remaining feed animals would be if they were granted freedom, but we’ll get there.
- The Maasai Diary, because I am obsessed with everything Africa.
- Midwest Vaygun, her Chipotle BBQ Jackfruit recipe has revolutionized my vegan tacos!
- H M Pittman, vegan nutrition.
- Chasingpixels, couple Rob and Deb’s year in Japan.
- Bookworm Bethie; books, stitching, and vegan meals.
- jessiejordan, a very new blogger, but I like her posts on conservation.
- Modern Hippie Cooks, because she’s also vegan and from Vancouver!
- Heavenly Vegan Baking, because I love my baked goods.
- Swamped, because we vet techs need to look out for each other!
- Ecoprimate, Paul runs a fantastic conservation blog.
- The Handmade Hippie, because she also works as a vet tech, likes yoga, and is vegetarian.
My Questions for the Nominees to Answer:
- Which would you choose: a large house, nice car, and well-paying job, or a year of travelling around the world in hostels with no more than $20 in your pocket at any given time.
- What is your favourite climate?
- What is your definition of a `successful` life?
- If you knew when you would die, what would your last meal be?
- What is one little thing you can always count on to brighten your day?
- What is your dream job? If you are not doing it yet, why?
- What was your favourite childhood cartoon?
- Do you live to eat or eat to live?
- If you were (or are) a broke college student, which one meal could you eat every day?
- If you could choose to be immortal, would you?
- Are you type A or type B?
Thanks again to all my readers, and I am happy to pass this on to other bloggers you should really get to know.